Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Learning to read

Andrew loves books. He loves to have books read to him, and he loves to sit and "read" the pictures, which I believe has motivated him to want to learn to read the words. He also is surrounded by a culture of reading with his siblings and parents who he sees reading. I will be honest, I really have not pushed the mechanics of reading, as I believe strongly that a love for reading is more important to develop first. The mechanics can be achieved quickly when a love for learning is the motivator and guide. Andrew--on his own--had begun to try to sound out words and letters when we were out in stores or anywhere he saw a word that he wanted to know. From his initiative, I thought it was time to give my old trusty Alpha-Phonics book a go and see where it leads us. Here is a little clip of one of our lessons. Can you see the excitement on his face when he finishes a sentence? I love that! There is nothing like seeing the light come on and watching a child learn to read... a whole world of wonder has been opened up, ready to explore.

*remember to turn the music off in the sidebar to listen to the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment