Monday, October 19, 2009

24 Hours...Living the Dream

Calvin is now 24 hours old...it's so hard to believe. It's all like a dream now, everything happened so fast. At 11:00 on Sunday morning Mom's water broke, but not much happened until Mama and Daddy returned from a walk around 3:30. Over the next couple of hours contractions began to come on quickly. Around 5:00 Daddy called the midwife who arrived about 6:15, and by 7:30 Mom was pushing, and at 7:58pm Calvin James Shiflet made his first public appearance met by wild cheers and applause. :) Be sure and stay tuned for Mom's version of events in a future post!

Calvin is sleeping well, and both he and Mama are getting some good rest. Mama is taking it easy but is able to be up and about throughout the day. It has been such a blessing to be able to have Calvin born right here at home.

I simply can't get over how adorable Calvin is, I can't take my eyes (or hands) off of him! It all seems so wonderful that sometimes I think it must be a dream. But if it is, I hope I never wake up. It is difficult to express what it is like to hold a little babe in my arms and to know it's not just anybody's baby, but my own baby brother, it seems as though it is too good to be true and that I soon must wake up from this dream that has overtaken me!

I Praise the Lord for the blessing of children, of life, of little Calvin, and his precious little soul that God has entrusted to our care!!!! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Well here's some more pictures from last night and this morning. Daddy took most of these, I've found holding Calvin is even more fun than taking pictures! So for once, I've gladly resigned my post...for now. :)






I had the wonderful privilege of being the first to dress little Calvin. His hands are so tiny, but his feet certainly are not! They are the biggest baby feet I think I have ever seen!!! (I'll have to post some feet pictures soon. :)




Ahh...J.Michael beat me to it, he was the first of the kids to get to hold him. :)


Well, seconds are not bad...:D



The Next Morning...Kathlena's first time to hold Calvin.


And Andrews...


4 comments:

  1. Emily,

    I can't wait to talk to you more, but already, I understand what it "might" be like when we have our own precious boy. What a priveledge to be able to dress him. Oh, even though he may be on the chubby side, he is just so little. How could someone not see this precious joy as a gift?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Emily!
    I'm so glad you were able to be in them this time :)
    What a joy to have Calvin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily you did a fabulous job!!! Thanks so much for sharing your story and photos!
    love ya'll, Mrs. Carlson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily,

    Thank you so much for posting all the pictures and the update on Calvin and your siblings. I can tell you're going to make a great Momma someday!

    All my love
    Barb

    ReplyDelete